After recently reading that an “overly enthusiastic” delivery man had delivered a parcel to a safe location (the house owner's rooftop) we began to consider whether parcel locker banks would become a preferred delivery option in the future.
In recent months more and more parcel locker networks are being introduced across Europe. So far Germany has the largest network in the world. The sites that are being chosen for the parcel banks are staffed outlet centres such as food supermarkets, retail outlets and railway stations. The criteria for the parcel lockers to be built in an area is that it must be a staffed area with adequate security and long opening hours so that they are accessible to the public.
With the added benefit of convenience and lower costs in running a parcel locker network, many countries across the globe are now beginning to adapt the model. As more and more consumers are getting frustrated with home delivery services we list below some of the benefits of parcel delivery lockers:
- They improve the delivery process as parcels can be picked up at any time.
- Reduction in lost time for couriers as they will not need to travel as far reducing the amount of repairs required on vehicles.
- Provide additional footfall and potentially revenue for parcel locker locations.
- Demand for parcel locker locations can easily be determined by reviewing business to consumer parcel generated shopping in the area.
- Post office numbers have fallen making it harder to collect parcels for customers
- Growth of click and collect type models has shown there is a demand for parcel lockers
Although there are some huge benefits, many are still sceptical on whether the parcel locker system is actually feasible. This is because many questions are still being faced on how secure the facilities are for parcels to be stored in. Furthermore, further issues arise when considering whether there are enough sufficient sites across the UK to support the system. Finally, the challenge that will need to be tackled is whether parcel lockers will actually be accepted by the majority of consumers.
Cheap parcel services are constantly changing to find new methods for cheap parcel delivery services. At Worldwide Parcel Services, we were curious as to what our readers think on the matter so it would be great to listen to your thoughts via our Facebook or Twitter.